The article I read “Gym Goes Online” by Stacy Andell (web address à http://www.edarticle.com/k-12-subject-areas/physical-education/gym-goes-online.html )
is simple and to the point. The author talks about PE and how it is moving from the traditional team sport oriented program to a more individual fitness oriented program. I agree that this is the way programs should go but the reasoning is all wrong. Andell points out that time is taken away from PE due to standardized testing and we have to help the students improve their own fitness levels and knowledge so one can do it on their own. Yes on the fitness goals but no on the loss of time. If there is ever a time to increase PE time it is now. A time for students to unwind and let out the pent up energy which will help them is all areas.
Ardell tells the reader that many programs are going to an online type of monitoring program where the students do PE on their own and track it online. The teacher helps the students with goal setting and monitoring but the activity takes place outside the class. Sounds cool but nothing can replace the class setting and in person interactions with the teacher and other students.
I do agree that PE programs have to change around the country, but not for the reasons of a time cut rather to help the students gain a knowledge and understanding on how to stay fit for life.
Keith
ReplyDeleteStaying fit and fighting childhood obesity should be a priority for all schools. I can’t say that I am always self-motivated to work out. Does the author think that children will be disciplined or motivated to do so with an on-line tracking system? I also find it disheartening that specials are always cut first when it comes to funding, testing or pulling kids out special classes.
It sounds as Ardell is promoting a PFC. Who would be in charge of this community and how they will interact is the charge of the owner. I can see a teacher doing this and getting a lot of mileage. I know that this monitoring program where the students do PE on their own and track it online sounds difficult, but it is really not.
ReplyDeleteI think there are too many like me who might get it started but there is no motivation in it to keep it going. Also, how will a person know if they are doing things the right way! Maybe if it can be linked to something already learned and "liked" then on-line could be added.
ReplyDeleteOkay, so PE teacher to PE teacher here, yes school physical education offerings are becoming more and more fitness related due to "life long" sports and activities. However, I personally believe there is so much to gain by the fabulous three. 1. Good old fashion skill building is crucial to physical development for all ages K-12. 2. Cooperative learning from the team sports provide attributes crucial to working with colleagues - Hello! Life skill! 3. Learning success when you win and how to recover from failure when you lose. And YES - GO Dodge Ball! That's for the learner who makes something out of them self someday. Those who enjoy sports as well as the fitness routine will find a place to play. I still play softball and dread the day I become to old to play (sorry, move!).
ReplyDeleteI agree. We have to find a way of makiing this all more fitness centered for life long involvment. Who is goingto play the sports later in life? Yes, there is alot of truth in the 3 points that you made, but we are losing them.
ReplyDeleteI think PE should be required 5 days a week! I know this is impossible under our current situations, but especially in the midwest kids need exercise and they need it daily! My kids are very lucky to have PE two times a week. I use brain gym in my classroom all the time. I know kids need to get moving in order for their brains to function properly. Great Article!
ReplyDelete